I’ve gotten three tattoos at various locations on my body and of varying sizes, so here are some tips that I’ve learned when getting tattooed:
- Choose your favorite artist, and make sure that you really like their art. I found my artist and followed her and her art for two years before getting my first tattoo.
- I think that it’s important to trust your artist and not micro-manage their art. Tell them the design you want, but you should trust them enough to create a beautiful and original design for you.
- Of course, if you have minor alterations (or even major changes) to the tattoo design, definitely let your artist know. This is something that will be on your body forever so it’s important that it’s something you love.
- Ask about the total cost of the tattoo, how they prefer to be paid, and when you pay be sure to leave a good tip for your artist!
- Eat a snack before your tattoo session. Nothing big, but something to make sure that you don’t have low blood sugar and pass out while you’re getting tattooed. If you have a long tattooing session, maybe bring a snack.
- Drink lots of water and bring water, for the same reasons above.
- Ask your artist what to wear, especially if you’re getting a tattoo in a unique spot like your ribs or hips/legs or somewhere. I think that it’s important to know that while you may be nervous about exposing your body for an upper ribcage tattoo like I got, that 1) your artist has seen hundreds of other half-naked people for other tattoos, 2) your body is beautiful and is nothing to be ashamed of, and 3) if you really want the tattoo and in that location, you must handle the consequences.
- Bring a friend. This is optional, and ask your artist if they’re okay with you bringing other people. I brought one friend for my first tattoo for the support, but I went alone for my other two tattoos.
- Ask your artist what soaps and lotions work best during healing. There’s lots of opinions from other people and online, but your artist will know what works best for their style and ink, etc.
Thank you for reading! Have you ever gotten a tattoo or thought about getting your first tattoo? Let me know in the comments below and like this post if you want more like it!